Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Holiday Journal

I haven't had a lot of time to do art lately. Been squeezing in some time here and there.
I want more time- its been a mental issue with me lately. Work has been exhausting this fall- too many things to keep track of and too many different class preparations.
Plus when it gets dark by 5 I must say it feels like bedtime to me.
But, I will take whatever time I get and make the most of it.
Started setting up my holiday journal. 
I began by cutting out the pages from this old hardcover book.
Then I gessoed the front covers and painted them green. Added some stenciling in both dark green, gold and light green, along with some paper scraps which I had gessoed and finally a 6x6 full page.
Oh, and I can't forget the tissue tape.
I cut the letters for the title using my Scan and Cut and some gold paper.
I due cut these poinsettia pieces using a new Paper Smooches die I bought which I actually quite like.
Perfect size- not too big or too small, and easy to assemble.
My kind of die.
I added some Stickles glitter glue to the title letters just to give it a bit of holiday bling. I love holiday bling, I must say. I also used some green glitter on the holly leaves.
I splurged and bought the little Tim Holtz metal tags with the Christmas sayings.
Looks better in real life than it does in these slightly off lighted and a bit fuzzy photos.  I snapped them upstairs right on my work table and the late fall light isn't all that good there. I think this cover looks kind of messy in this photo, but you'll have to take my word for this one right now- this page doesn't look half bad in real light.
I've made my inner pages but I am going to wait and put them in once they are done. Think they'll be easier to work on flat.
I am actually quite ready to start working on them now-
BUT
it is a holiday journal and I need to wait until the holiday season starts. I've made my official start date the day before Thanksgiving, which I have off from work so that is the start of my holiday season.
I will keep this book until January 1 when the holidays end.
Or maybe January 5th which is the last day of my holiday vacation.
We'll see.
My other goal is to make this more journaly than scrapbooky. 
BUT,
I will put some photos into this.
I just don't want to make this book all about the photos.
So today I have a staff work day from my Costa Rica trip- must admit though sometimes it is more tiresome sitting I am looking forward to doing something different.
Will make this week really short!
Glad you stopped by today.
Hope to have you back again soon.

No comments: