Saturday, June 7, 2014

Flicks and Books

 
Have you seen this movie?
We Redboxed it the other day and I was pleasantly surprised. It made me smile a lot. A light flick for the end of a busy day when you don't want something too deep or complex but still want something worthwhile.
Or want to see a movie where the character goes to Greenland.
We also rented The Monuments Men last weekend.
Took a little bit to get into this film as it didn't move too fast at the beginning, but then it all came together and it wasn't a bad film either. The Nazi's really destroyed a lot of valuable art. I'd heard about this but to see what was going on really brought it all home. We almost lost a lot more too if it wasn't for this group of soldiers.I didn't know about these soldiers out to find it. Thank goodness someone was caring and astute enough to get out and find them. Funny, they showed Harry Truman in there and he certainly didn't think very highly of art-at least the way this movie portrayed him.
And a few books I've been sticking my big old nose in.
Fictional read on my nightstand.
Sixties flashback story but I love the fact part of the book was set in Taos, New Mexico, one of my favorite places. I also really like the main character. I read another book by Natalie Goldberg recently:  Living Color: Painting, Writing and the Bones of Seeing. That book is not fiction, but a nice read about color, painting and how the artsy mind works.
That's why I found myself this used copy, so I could read some more of Natalie Goldberg.
And I've been doing a bit of bookshelf cleaning.
I love cookbooks. I like to cook, but I also just like to read cookbooks.
Here's some oldies but goodies that I found buried deep behind some other books on my bookshelf.
I find it interesting how food trends change but also come back around. AND I love learning about new places, and of course the food in those places, since part of the place is its food. This book is really good at picking out the flavors of different places.
1970's Veggie cooking here I come. This is such a great cookbook. I am glad I rediscovered mine- which is much more dog eared and used.
I actually haven't cooked much from this, and really doesn't have any photos, but looking through it, I think its time to gve it another check. I love the painting on the cover.
Who doesn't want to use more fruit in their cooking?
And finally, this book on Amish Cooking is a great read. Its like a traveloque in covers. I am all for homestyle old fashioned cooking, and lots of these recipes are all that and then some.
Want to do some cooking this summer. Make some chutneys. Make some bread.
More pie and also ice cream.
Pull out these oldies but goodies and start feeding the hubby some good stuff.
Making myself hungry.
That's all for today.
Ta-ta for now.









1 comment:

Jez said...

Many, many years ago I saw the film 'The Secret Life of Walter Mitty' with Danny Kay in the lead. I'm always a bit wary of re-makes, but after reading your post I think I will add it to my Wish List on Amazon.

Thank you for your kind comment on my Madame Butterfly post on PPP&P.