Friday, May 29, 2015

I've Made Some Changes

Friday is here! Yahoo! 
That means it is Paint Party Friday. Thanks to Eva and Kristen for hosting.
I've got a lot to show today, old and new!
Sometimes you think you have finished with something but when you look back it is telling you to do something more. So that's what I did.
The orange house got a big old tree on the left. 
Works for me.
 And what I really disliked about this chair painting was the seat. It was too rough  and didn't need the words. So I used some more soft modeling paste and covered over the seat and then later when it dried I painted it.
 I am much happier now, though I still think it might need a cat.
And on my 2 works in progress have had some additions.
I fixed the window frame, now it looks so much more finished than my scribbly lines. And I added a tea cup and finished the table top and the vase.
Now I need to add flowers to those plants. And work on my shadows a bit.
I always see art better once it is photographed and up on the computer screen.
And I fixed the table so the top is a little more square and the legs look slightly better-except the right back one- Eeee-gads!.
The colors are way off here though! And the vase looks too much like a modern Easter egg now. Plus I need to fix the white molding so it is white and the corner of the wall needs to be straightened...so much to do.  But I will get there!
The thing about working on a painting is once you paint, it needs to dry, and then it might need a second coat...so when I paint (at least), things move slowly.
That's me, always moving at my own speed (in my own little world, head in the clouds, trying to see what shapes those clouds are...)
So while I am waiting, I work on my journal or some other project. Here's something new to see.
This page started as a 12x12 inch printed paper (I have trimmed it down) and then I Gelli printed on it. I made this page by die cutting from a Brenda Walton Sizzix set. A few of those dies got colored with Copic markers and added to the Gelli print, and a few of those die scraps got used as a stencil which I then traced.  I added the 2 bluebirds and the pink butterflies by this tracing and then I colored them. The large bird in the middle is an older Martha Stewart image that I stamped, colored and cut out.
I was inspired by the summer like weather  we are having this week to make a few summery journal pages. I'll show you more some other day.
 Other wise its been a pretty low key work week. I have been working a little bit on my screen porch floor (which I sanded down and primed last weekend), and which I hope to finish up this weekend so all the furniture can get moved back into it. And then I can use it, just in time for cooler than normal weather next week. I also rented the movie Interstellar one night since I've wanted to see that movie for quite awhile now. 
And I have a super sweet story. This week in my class I was using chocolate chip cookies as an analogy for a biological concept. I made mention that a homemade chocolate chip cookie would taste wonderful, but I couldn't have them in the house  with my husband's kidney condition . (Chocolate is on his not allowed to eat list, and since he loves chocolate chip cookies, their his favorite, I hate to tempt him.) Anyhow, the next morning one of my students shows up with a little bag of chocolate chip cookies for me. She says she felt bad that I couldn't make any cookies in my house and she wanted me to have some.  Since she had nothing to do the night before, she went home and baked chocolate chip cookies. For me. How nice is that? Sometimes when you least expect it something special pops up and warms you down to your core.
And she already has an A so it isn't like she needs to sweeten me up for a grade either!
And this weekend's agenda? Hmmmm. Guess I will wait and see what comes up. But it is just about the weekend and that is always a good thing.
Hope you have some fun plans for yours.
And thanks for stopping by.

21 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Your paintings are all coming along well, I love the addition of the tree in the first one. Love the journal page, too. But the best part has to be that student who baked those cookies for you - how lovely! Hugs, Valerie

Clare Lloyd said...

Fabulous colours. Happy PPF

Unknown said...

Love, love , love the story about the chocolate chip cookies! As a fellow biology teacher, moments like this give us the energy to keep going. Love the journal page. I like the idea of starting with scrapbook paper as as background. I do this in my paper & glue art journals but did not think about painting over it! Love the journal page. The textures and colors together along with the birds is so bright and summery. Glad you shared it this week.

Laila said...

I can so relate to photographing and then see what needs to be done. That's part of my process as well. Besides, I save all the photos and keep notes as well. That way I have built me a huge reference file. I always learn much each time I look back on it.
I love your orange house, and that tree really suits in the scene. Good job!

Faye said...

I love the addition of the tree. It made the painting more interesting as well as creating a better balance to the overall scene. Your collage with the gelli prints and birds is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing the story about your student's compassionate reaction to your chocolate chip story.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to live in an orange house, it looks so cozy!

PiaRom said...

So much terrific work here to look at! Gorgeous! I soo love the orange house! Hoping over from PPF ♥ Conny Mix It Monthly

GlorV1 said...

I love the colors you are using and that orange house really gets to me. Lovely work.

Özge Başağaç said...

Awesome colors. Lovely compositions.All of them are full of energy. Like the celebration of spring and coming summer...

Linda Kunsman said...

Hola Erika!! It's so much fun to see not only your vibrant paintings but also how you play with them until YOU are satisfied! Love that journal page too. And what a lovely gesture from one of your students. I know you were her inspiration for sure:)

Tammy N said...

I love all the bright happy colors you use!

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

You've been busy! I love your bold use of color and shapes in your work. Blessings!

Tracey FK said...

I do love your vibrant colours... they are just jumping off my computer screen at me...xx

Meihsia Liu said...

All your paintings are so beautiful! I really love your fabulous chair. :)

Giggles said...

I still love that orange house..and the way you use shadows is excellent!! Cookies are better than an apple for teacher...what a sweet gesture. I bet you feel loved!!

Hugs Giggles

Rosie Kaplan said...

I love the oragne house with or without tree!!

kat said...

That is very touching and sweet of your student! I love all these great colourful pieces but my favourite is the first one of that bright orange house, it has such a Summer light and glow to it!

Sirkka said...

I have been waiting for the orange house to be fineshed and wow, it is now!! It is wonderful and the tree with the deep green color places good there. I love this house and other your paintings with so much color! -You have nice students.

Blogoratti said...

Those are lovely and creative paintings, love the details.

Gloria j Zucaro said...

Hello, I really enjoyed your post this week! You accomplished so much in each of your paintings. I also have a lot of trouble with straight lines, but yours are all in good shape! Your journal page is fantastic! And I really enjoyed your irises and lupine photos today. I wonder if lupines would grow here?(Chicago suburbs) I love any plant that takes off on its' own!

Beth Niquette said...

What bold and charming colors. I love the composition of your artwork. Wonderful!