Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Play Time

Over the past long weekend I had a lot of arty play time. I mentioned the other day my goal is to post something every day this month as an AJJ hostess, and I'm trying to keep everything fresh and not repeat myself 31 times. That's hard work.:) I give kudos to those of you who do this frequently!
So today for Art Journal Journey  (Every Journal Page Tells a Story), I have a collaged page made with paint and some stamped images. 
I needed some bright cheery colors, not winter colors.
I needed to play with images and just make a story from play.
Oh I needed some kitchen play last weekend too.
If you are trying to eat healthy and have NO willpower, , you better click off right now.
I made this caramel pecan kringle, a kind of Danish dessert. I read that in Denmark they make these pretzel shape and fill them with almond filling, but when they were brought to the town of Racine, Wisconsin here in the US, they morphed into this round rings with all kinds of fillings.
This recipe reminded me a lot of something my mother used to make when I was a kid, and when I discovered the recipe online before the holidays, it got put on my to make list.
 It starts with pie crust like base.
 And then you  layer this choux (puff pastry) like filling. It bakes for an hour, and just when it comes out of the oven you pour melted caramel over it and sprinkle it with toasted pecans.
And then once it cools, you put a little bit of a frosting glaze.
The only bad thing about my kringle is that I have been eating too much of it.:)
And I'm really sorry if I ended up torturing you.
Have a great Wednesday!

8 comments:

froebelsternchen said...

Your page makes me just HAPPY!!!Love those vibrant colors and I would love to come with you there!
And it's really good for me that I am so far away from your house - otherwise I would burgle your house and steal at least a slice of this deliciousness just now !
Have a great day/evening depending on when you read my comment!
oxo Susi

Valerie-Jael said...

Ah, how I wished you didn't live so far away - I would have gladly helped you to diminish the calories, t looks just WONDERFUL! Love your bright and cheery journal page, we really need time just to play and do what we want to. Thanks for being such a GREAT hostess with at least 5 stars*****! Hugs, Valerie

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I really like the cheerful colors and imagery of your page. As to your desert, I am trying to loose a couple of pounds, but I would thoroughly enjoy a slice of it. Blessings!

Rike said...

I like the fresh colors in your star-page! But more I like your caramel pecan kringel - it smells on my tongue while I was reading your recept! I think this is a healthy cake :)

Meggymay said...

Its another fantastic page, you are inspiring us every day Erika.
The cake looks delicious, what is... will power..... when you come face to face with something that looks as good as this.
Yvonne xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

The stars have come out to shine on this wonderful piece. It is fantastic. I adore it. Sorry I'm so late visiting, but life truly got in the way today, as I tried to install the new phones I purchased. What should have been an easy "plug into the wall and go" turned into a nightmare, since my internet is connected to my phone service. Need I say more?

I managed to make Overnight Baked French Toast this evening, so, although your wonderful kringle looks delicious, I wasn't tempted for once. Hope you had a fantastic day! Hump day is over, at least.

Sandy said...

Wonderful page with fantastic colors. You sentiment is really pretty special too!
Sandy xx

Gibby Frogett said...

Well what a yummy post this is Erika - your AJJ piece is really beautiful, I love the colours and quote.
Well done for posting everyday, don't know how you fit everything in with work too.
And as for your caramel pecan kringle I think I put on several pounds just wishing it was on my plate - scrumptious! :)
Gill x