Wednesday, December 27, 2017

It Is So Cold

Brrr. Old Man Winter has arrived from the arctic.  Notice the lows for the next week as shown on my phone weather. And this is in Fahrenheit. On New Year's Eve is it going to be around -24 degrees C. Glad my plans are just staying home where the woodstove should keep it toasty warm.
Today we had a new furnace installed as ours was in really bad shape. Luckily we had the woodstove to keep the house warm. It meant I needed to stay home, not only to feed the wood stove but also so someone would be here while the guys worked on setting up the furnace. The good news meant I didn't have to go out into the cold and that I had a little arty time today.
So here's a page I finished up for Sheila's challenge over at Art Journal Journey. It's still the season to celebrate and her challenge is Let's Celebrate.
And Moo Mania has started their last challenge for the year, which is Welcome Somebody/Something/The New Year.
I think this page works perfect.
I used gold paint to stencil the background, and added this Judi-kins stamped image. I stamped and painted the fireworks and stars, and then added this fun little foam letters I had picked up before Christmas.
 And it was a pretty morning sunrise.
And the other day (Saturday)we had some ice and I snapped this cool photo.
Ice on the grill sheet. I think it's a cool effect.
And if I don't post before the week ends (not sure what's up-you may see me, you may not), I want to wish everyone a Happy New Year.
And thanks to all you who stop by and visited me this past year. you've made 2017 a great blogging year for me.

13 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Glad you are keeping warm. Love the photos, especially the last one, it's really cool. Lovely journal page, too. Have a fun day, hugs, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

Omg - that's really cold Erika!
We have actual 35°Fahrenheit and this is cold when the winds blow.
Your page is just amazing - this stylish dancers are on a wonderful stenciled background - all so festive with the fireworks and stars - wow! Thanks a lot for linking to Art Journal Journey again and thinking of Moo Mania & More as well! You know how much we appreciate this!
Fantastic photos Erika - I love the cool effect of the ice on the grill sheet, perfect for an abstract page!
Good that all went well with the new furnace - and good to have an extra possibility to heat the house - specially when it is soooo cold!
Keep warm inside and outside Erika!
Hope your bronchitis has gone completely!
oxo Susi

CJ Kennedy said...

We're certainly in for the Montreal Express this week. Temp this morning was 4 oF, but the wind chill will make that into Brrrrr.Glad you got your furnace fixed. Perfect days to stay in an create art. Even though your celebration page looks like an elegant soiree, I'm glad to be staying in. Stay warm!

Jeanie said...

I'm with you on the furnace and heat and cold. We're running about the same here and fortunately my furnace is working but boy, if it wasn't, serious deep freeze. You might want BOTH the furnace and wood stove with that big chill!

But how fun to have art time -- your piece says New Year perfectly!

Dortesjs said...

Great post this, do have a great new year 2018 ;O)) thanks for the old one

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a simply stunning journal page for AJJ. The fireworks were absolutely perfect. I love how you stamped and painted them. Of course, those glittery letters were perfect, too. You DO love letters, don't you, dear friend.

Have fun with Corrine and your play date. I'm a bit jealous, at least I would be if I felt better (grin).

Thanks for sharing these awesome photos, but most of all the lovely spread you created for Art Journal Journey.

BTW, last night the temp was -11 F Yesterday our high was 5 F. So we're in a deep freeze in KS, too. Just no moisture anywhere near me.

Meggymay said...

Its a fantastic New Year page, it will soon be here.
I loved the snowy photos, it sounds like your new furnace has been installed just in time before the extreme cold temperature.
Hope you don't get snowed in.
I hope the New Year will be a good one for you and your family.
Yvonne xx

Divers and Sundry said...

It's 23 F here right now with a windchill of 16 and no snow anywhere in our forecast. Every time I think it's bitter cold here I see something like what you post and realize I'm not experiencing anything like "bitter cold". I'm glad you could stay in and warm. Your snowy scenery is lovely.

Rosie said...

A wonderful post, and yes it's cold by you. We only have rain and 6°.

Thank you for joining us at MOO MANIA & MORE

Happy New Year to you and yours

sheila 77 said...

This is terrific, Erika. The way you have made it with the gold stencils and the stamp, and then the painted fireworks, stars and finally the words - it all comes together just perfectly. The picture looks like the star turn in a classy New Year Party Celebration.
Thanks so much for all your entries for the AJJ Celebration, including this one.
And can I just say I have enjoyed your blogposts all year, so many of them, and each one a winner.
Happy New Year when it comes.

Gibby Frogett said...

brrrrr -24c oh!!! It was -1.4c last night here and that was bad enough - I just can't imagine how cold -24c must feel :(
Loved your New Years page - love the stencilled background especially and goes lovely with that stamp too.
Wishing you and your family a happy and healthy New Year Erika and hope its not as cold as predicted.
Gill xx

Words and Pictures said...

Stunning skies with those beautiful tree silhouettes, and your icy texture is just amazing! Wishing you all the best for 2018!
Alison x

Lorraine said...

lovely page and so glad to get in the warmth after the cold